Amazon US vs Amazon UK

Hi there,

Basically Amazon US doesnt allow a company domicile in Malaysia to sell while Amazon UK is ok. As such, I am left with either

A) setup a company in the US / Singapore via online to sell in Amazon US (much more complicated and cost involved is like 4 times more); or
B) setup a company in Malaysia and sell in Amazon UK.

I am also worry about selling in Amazon UK given that I would assume that it is a smaller market and that the strategies found in ASM may somewhat be skew towards US market.

Regards

A lot of the principles should be the same, but you’re right that it is a much smaller market. Ultimately, it’s a personal decision whether you want to go through the process of getting set up in the US. No one else can answer that question for you.

Hi Jason _ Chui

It may be a smaller market, but from the UK it opens up the whole of Europe…

@Dax @david25

Thx for the input.

Btw, any ideas how does one estimate a given market? - i.e, a particular category / item in Amazon UK - how does one analysis the total sales / units per month?

Basically I am trying to see whether the market size makes sense.

Hi Jason

I did have some information on this topic and stored it away, when i come across it i will email you…

@david25 thx!!

@Jason_Chui, I don’t know. International markets are something I want to spend more time on this year.

HI Jason/Dax and others …

The below info is some very rough google search info re other countries that amazon is operating in …I did a month or so ago ie early in 2015. As I said very rough so it is just to give you an idea of turnover or profit …in some instances it was not clear what the figure referred to (ie turnover or profit) but I think it is probably still useful. However, 1 thing that is very strange is the Australian turnover - I don’t seem to be able to find anything but books for this site and yet the turnover leads me to believe that there is more happening in this market - anyone know about this?

Amazon in other countries
Amazon has separate retail websites for United States, United Kingdom & Ireland, France, Canada, Germany, The Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Australia, Brazil, Japan, China, India and Mexico. Amazon also offers international shipping to certain other countries for some of its products.[12] In 2011, it had professed an intention to launch its websites in Poland[13] and Sweden.[14]

1. United States, US$ 74.45 billion (2013)[7]

2. United Kingdom Amazon.co.uk, Britain’s biggest online retailer, generated sales of more than £3.3bn in 2012 …… £4.5 billion 2014

3. Canada, Since launching in Canada in 2002 – to 4x $ in yrs following 2014
    Amazon.ca accounted for nearly $1.5 billion of retail e-commerce sales in Canada in 2013, according to the report. That was more than the combined online sales at Walmart.ca, Costco.ca, HomeDepot.ca, Lowes.ca, Bestbuy.ca, TheBay.com and Chapters.Indigo.ca, which together had online sales of $1.24 billion.

4. Australia, AWS (Amazon Web Services) is expected to generate $3.8 billion of revenue during its 2013 year – more than the next five major players combined, which are forecast to turn over a total of $2.4 billion.

Read more: http://www.crn.com.au/News/363331,amazons-meteoric-revenue-rise-in-australia.aspx#ixzz3NpZoDc3k

1. Ireland, €53.6 million in 2010, 74,452,000 m 2013

Hi Jason,

I’m based in Malaysia too. I’m thinking to start with Amazon FBA. For funds transaction we can use “Payoneer”, incorporating a LLC company we use “delawareinc dot com”, but not really sure how much is the cost and the procedures. Correct me if I’m wrong, or we can discuss further.

Regards,
Jenson

Hi Jenson,

Ya, I heard payoneer is one of the option although I am not sure that vs having a normal US bank account. Incorporating a company oversea cost will be not on the cheap side I reckon as it upfront and yearly fees together with tax and accounting etc etc - probably equal to Malaysia cost but in USD currency I would expect.

you can also use World First to open a USD, GBP or EUR bank account.

I suggest taking the cheaper, easier route to start with. Once you establish a good selling history on Amazon UK, it will be easier to add the US market. In the meantime, you should look for some support from other Amazon sellers in similar situations.