Amazon's Change of Keywords

Amazon UK has recently changed their keyword structure from 5 x 5 entries with a 50 charicter limit to a single entry with 1000 charicter limit.

They have not yet given any adequete info on seller central for the new structure so it seems to be up to us to figure this out.

I asked seller central if words can be used in any combination and if you need a comma to seperate entries

they replied with this:

Thank you for the suggestions, I will escalate it accordingly.
In answering your questions:
The search terms can not be used in any combination.

Meaning if your keywords look like this, mens, womens, ladies, girls, heel, foot, shoe, insole, pad, inserts, gel, foam, etc

The combinations you gave as an example would not be recognised.

Only if the search terms contained: mens heel pad, mens shoe insert, gel shoe insert, ladies foam shoe pad , etc…would the combinations you mentioned work.
This format will however, allow each term in the entire phrase to be a search term on its own. For example, mens is searchable on its own,l shoe will be searchable on its own, etc

To answer your second question. A comma is used to separate the terms,

--------------- this suggests that all previous entries of keywords need to be replaced by an entirely new system.

I tried searching for my own products ( with 5 x 50 charicter entries and a combination ofrandom words )

this demonstates that old listings with x5 keyword entries still works by mixing up keywords …

so the question is how can we be sure that it is worth the work to resubmit keywords for all products?

How do we know that keyword random combinations no longer work when i can see evidence to the contrary for old listings

It seems hard to imagine that the search engine on amazon runs searches on mix and matching keywords and simultaneously giving results on exact match entries only for newly listed products…

one for the experts here

@Paul_Hepworth, that seems very odd to me too. I also don’t trust everything that support tells me. If you’re not seeing any indication that the algorithm works differently, I wouldn’t make significant changes.

That being said, it would be foolish to,completely disregard it. What I would do is keep your keywords as is, but add a unique test word. For example, add something like “rhinoflap” to your list (without commas) and see if you rank for that keyword. If so, their system is still recognizing the old format.

Hi Dax

Later, I recieved an email from another advisor apologising for the incorrect information…

after some reasearch I have found the following to be true.

Keywords are separated by commas
they can be used in any combination meaning you can use the phrase: Size, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
instead of Size 4, size 5, size 6, size 7, etc

also the 1000 character limit is true - keywords are used now in a single field instead of 5 x 50 character fields

I tested this with a submission to a single product with 970 charicters of keywords at each 100 charicter interval i added a random word such as rhinofart, monkeyrex turtlepoo

these words did appear in both combinations in sequence and with random other words from the 0-100 range, and the 4-500 range and 6-700 range …

this all means the keyword limit has increased from 250 in total to 1000 - it would make sense to go and add the keywords to pre-existing listings to full optomise

thank you for your suggestion about the random word inclusion to test - and obviously dont beleive eveything you hear from seller central - it is usually on the 3rd or 4th advisor that some truth is revealed…

@Paul_Hepworth - this is great information. Thanks so much for following up with the results.

However, I was a little unclear with what you meant here:

I assume you’re saying the listing shows up when you do an Amazon search for “rhinofart” and other made-up keywords, but what did you mean about appearing combinations/sequence? Can you give an example?

It looks like this change has now been rolled out to the US as well:

However, I tried to ask the support team about the character limit yesterday. Although they open 1000 as the limit, the actual count of keyword indexing is just 25 characters per row.

They have also mentioned that if you exceeded the limit and the system won’t index the exceeded words. So which part of the backend search terms is corrected? I am so confused…

That’s a great question. I don’t usually check to see if my keywords are actually indexed, so I don’t know the answer. Either way, I always try to put my highest value keywords at the beginning of the line, so I would recommend doing that as part of your process. So, if you have 5 lines, you’d want to make sure that the first 25 characters of each are you priority keywords.