What are Wiki Articles?

Many of you may be familiar with Wikipedia, but might not really understand where the content comes from or what a “wiki” is.

Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia, written collaboratively by the people who use it. It is a special type of website designed to make collaboration easy, called a wiki. Many people are constantly improving Wikipedia, making thousands of changes per hour.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Introduction

The key concept to understand here is that a wiki is basically user generated content. That means that regular people just like you can contribute to an article on a subject to make it as useful and thorough as possible. So, while one person may create an article on a subject, any other member is permitted to make changes they feel will improve the content.

One of the reasons why I think it’s so powerful for Amazon sellers is that the market is changing so quickly, so it can be difficult to keep up to date with what’s current on Amazon. A wiki format helps solve this problem as users can continually update and improve the content so that it’s always current.

This means that if you have something useful to add, I highly encourage you to edit the wiki. Anyone reading a wiki article should have confidence that the content is currently relevant

I try to make it clear a post is a wiki, but adding WIKI in front of the post title. However, you’ll also notice that there will be a greenish background on all wiki posts. You should be able to edit a wiki by simply clicking on the green pencil icon on the top right hand of the post area.

Of course, an open system like this that is so easy to edit does leave itself subject to abuse, so there is a built in restriction as well as some general ground rules.

Built in Restrictions

• Members must earn a rank of Trust Level 1 before they are able to edit a wiki article. You should be able to earn this rank by simply spending about 10 minutes reading through various posts on the site. It’s a simple requirement, but should help keep egregious spammers from abusing the system.

Ground Rules

Some of the ground rules are open to interpretation, but the spirit of these rules should be pretty clear.

• Do not post copyrighted material.
  • Do not use wikis for self promotion
  • Don’t post speculation or opinion as “fact”
  • Be respectful of other contributors
  • If you’re not sure about something, ask.

I want to create a valuable resource here and that means members must trust the content and users who contribute. I reserve the right to revoke privileges from members who abuse the wiki system, up to and including a permanent ban from this site.

Permanent bans will be reserved for a repeated or blatant disregard of the rules (or spirit of the rules), so as long as you use general common sense, you should have nothing to worry about.

Welcome to the Community