WIKI: Product Launch Fundamentals

strategy
product-launch
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f977fa55f00> #<Tag:0x00007f977fa55dc0>

I was asked what kind of product launches make the most sense from a return basis. It’s a good question but difficult to answer because every product launch will respond to a promotion differently because there are so many factors at play. So, I can’t say “XYZ” will always provide the best return.

This is what I’d say about some of the different options:

Amazon Ads: I always try Amazon Ads. It’s not always profitable based on the cost, but it’s always worth trying. If it doesn’t work, I scale it back or shut it down completely.

Press Releases: I rarely do them, and never for the sake of “just doing them”. Some people swear by them, but it was one of those things that I personally found difficult to get done on a continuing basis.

Coupon Deals / Facebook Promos / Viral Launch: These all basically serve the same purpose and this approach is one I almost always try to incorporate in some form.

In each case, we want to generate high converting sales and we try to incentivize people to make a purchase by offering free or highly discounted product. Now, most people love to get free stuff, so the key to accomplishing our goal is to really get our offer in front of people in a controlled way. This is important, because you ideally want your launch to be paced out over a few days to show some consistency. I’d much rather launch with 25 sales for four consecutive days versus 100 sales in a few hours.

So, let’s look at the three options that were asked about, plus I’ll throw in a fourth option - building a targeted email list.

Coupon Deals

• The big benefit here is that if you can get your deal posted to a coupon site it’s basically free (other than the cost of your product and fulfillment fees).
  • The drawback is that it can be difficult to do since a lot of the popular coupon sites are suspicious of people posting random Amazon deals now.
  • You can try *seasoning* your account, but this can take weeks with no guarantee of success. Plus, even though you can protect your inventory so it’s not oversold, you can’t easily pace sales over the course of a few days.
  • It’s also not easy to funnel customers through a landing page to filter out people who are just curious, which will reduce your conversion rates.

Facebook Promos

• This is basically the approach of placing targeted Facebook ads offering your product at a deep discount.
  • The benefit is that you can funnel people through a landing page, so you can capture targeted email addresses (which can be used for future launches in the same niche), while also keeping high conversion rates.
  • You also have decent control over your launch since you can pause / restart your ads to try and pace sales over a few days.
  • The drawback is that there’s a learning curve associated with Facebook ads and they can be very expensive or provide poor results if you don’t know how to use them properly.

Viral Launch

• The benefit here is that it was purpose built to easily accomplish what would be more difficult to do with coupon deals or Facebook ads. Also, the pace of your launch can be controlled fairly well.
  • The downside is that even though it’s easy with little variability around what to expect, it can be expensive.

Targeted Email List

• This is the ideal resource, but it can take time, money and experience to build a good list. As your Amazon business grows, you should hopefully start building your own list over time that you can leverage for future launches. It’s a good skill to start learning, but it isn’t practical to build a list for your first product launch.

Of course, there are other ways to accomplish these goals, but you might have to be creative. The key is to understand what you’re trying to accomplish, and think about what opportunities exist in your market to achieve those results.

This post is part of the Ultimate Wiki Project

The Ultimate Wiki Project: Selling on Amazon FAQ

People need to be aware that some unscrupulous sellers are getting the products for the discount and then either reselling them on Amazon and competing with you in the buy box or they are selling a counterfeit as yours. Amazon will not give you support to investigate the matter. You can be paying money for advertising and these people are reaping the benefit of your invested money and hard work. No one mentioned that point so I would like people to know about the possibilities.

I read somewhere (Shop with review, I think…?) that people who buy a discounted product for review are not allowed to sell it anywhere and if they are caught doing that they will be banned from their site. Is there anyway of proving this?

Yes, there is a lot of information about things like this in the ASM forum. This is what they refer to as “hijacking”.

Some can be stubborn, but most can be handled if you send a Cease & Desist notice or purchase one of their units and report any difference in the product to Amazon.

I would like to know the nuts and bolts of how to create email lists. There must be efficient ways of extracting email and contact information without having to go in and do it manually. I would like to learn the tricks of the trade.

At a high level, you want to drive people to your website and incentive
them to sign up to your list.

The nuts and bolts of building email lists is probably beyond the scope of
this course, but there are plenty of other resources available.

I’ll see if I can find any free information that covers the basics well and
explain how it to apply it to our business.

If anyone else knows of any good free resources offhand, please don’t
hesitate to recommend them.

You may have misunderstood my enquiry. How do you make an email list from the Amazon customers who have placed orders. Do you have to write them out manually or is there a way to export an excel list. Mailchimp allows you to import an excel list.

@Aria, you only get an encrypted email address that goes through Amazon’s system, so you can use the email tool to follow up with customers, but you can’t add them to an outside list. The best way to build a list of your own that you can freely market to is by including an insert in your packaging and incentivizing people to sign up.

Hi Dax. You said that Facebook Advertising was a bit of a learning curve. Do you know about any other training/info about creating effective Facebook Ads? Or is it a case of trial and error?

@juliestevenz, I had purchased something from Ezra called Traffic Mentor, but I don’t think it’s available anymore. He’s the teacher for Social Secrets, though, so you can consider that when it’s released. Offhand, I’m not sure what else to recommend, but maybe someone else in the group can suggest something as well.