WIKI: Understanding the Super-URL

how-to
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f9782a69340>

What is a Super-URL

A Super-URL is a URL that is crafted to mimic a user search. Before I go into more detail behind what that means and how we actually craft the URL, I want to first describe its purpose.

If you’ve followed the training, you should know that one of the most important factors in getting your product listing to rank on Amazon is relevancy. If Amazon sees that a customer does a search for “yoga mat” before they purchase your product, your listing will be considered relevant for that term. The more that Amazon sees your listing is relevant compared to other product listings, the more you will be rewarded with improved ranking for the search term.

Ideally, if you wanted to rank for the term “yoga mat”, you’d get a bunch of people to go to Amazon and do a search for that term. If it’s a new listing, they might have to scroll through multiple pages before they find your listing (if it shows up at all) and purchase your product. This would have a significant impact on your rankings, but it’s not practical to ask people to do this (even friends).

So the next best thing is the Super-URL. We craft a URL to mimic this search process, so instead of asking people to go to Amazon and do the search, all they have to do is click on a link and you get credit for relevancy from Amazon.

How to Create Your Super-URL

Creating a Super-URL is pretty simple. As an example, I did a search for the term “yoga mat” on Amazon and clicked on one of the listings. If you look at the resulting URL, you’ll see that at the very end it says “keywords=yoga+mat” and the term “yoga mat” also continues to show up in the Search bar. If you were to copy/paste the URL below, you’ll see that you can mimic this search, just by using the link. That’s the Super-URL.

http://www.amazon.com/PURPLE-NPR-Yoga-Mat-72x24x1/dp/B00I70EIDA/ref=sr_1_1?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1418739458&sr=1-1&keywords=yoga+mat

Now, it’s fine to just take that raw URL and start sending it to people, but there’s a little bit of extra information in the URL that we don’t need. If you want to create a “clean” Super-URL or build ones from scratch for various keywords, a member created an Excel spreadsheet that can build a one for you. He also put together a short video explaining how to use the file. Both can be found in the ASM Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/amazing.selling.machine/243353512501338/

Optional: If you really want to get into the technical aspects of the Super-URL, refer to this post from the ASM Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/amazing.selling.machine/permalink/234904280012928/

Where to Use the Super-URL

You can use a Super-URL almost anywhere you think someone might click on the link and make a purchase. Some examples are:

• The link I give reviewers
  • Facebook posts (including ads)
  • Coupon sites
  • Friends / Family

Now, keep in mind that the Super-URL can only get you so far. If you’re showing up on page 15, the Super-URL alone should be able to get you to between page 1 to 4. At this point, you may be able to start asking people to manually “search & buy”, but you really need to have a listing that converts well if you want to keep moving up. That means you should be tweaking your listing to try and improve your conversion rate as much as possible. This will greatly improve your chances of getting a page 1 listing. You can then start sending out Super-URL links that target different keywords :slight_smile:

This post is part of the Ultimate Wiki Project

WIKI: Understanding Your Amazon Canonical URL
The Ultimate Wiki Project: Selling on Amazon FAQ
WIKI: Understanding Your Amazon Canonical URL

Hello Dax,

I read both FB posts on the S-URL in addition to your post here (thanks for that ) and I am still not sure if I should use the merchand ID as part of the super URL I give to reviewers, or use for family, friends, coupon sites, etc. I would appreciate your advice on that.

Thanks Dax!

There’s no disadvantage to using it, but it’s really not that important unless you’re also dealing with hijackers.

@dax I don’t have seller account. That being said, I cannot create or see any URL when I search product on Amazon. Is that correct? Thanks

You can see all products whether you have a seller account or not

@dax. thanks for the reply. This might sound a bit stupid. Every time I search a product on amazon. It does show me the product on amazon page not URL section. It shows me" amazon.com" period. Is there anything my computer setting went wrong? Please enlighten me.

@amani64,

I’m not sure what you’re seeing or what you’re expecting to see. Could you share a screenshot?

Let’s see. Hope the image works. This is the screenshot of what I’m talking about. On the top of the bar, I cannot find the URL of the product but ‘amazon.com’ itself. No matter what product I click, the page will lead me to the product like this but on the top of the bar, it shows “amazon.com” Would it be possible what I did wrong? Where can I find product’s URL. Thanks

Thanks, the screenshot helps explain the issue. This has nothing to do with Amazon. You have to modify your browser settings:

Go to: preferences> advanced > click Smart Search Field (to show the full address)

I think that should work.

Aha. @Dax, You are genius. It works. Thanks:relaxed:

Hi Dax,

So Im concerned about the current and future use of super URLs.

After the October Amazon TOS update a lot of review groups stopped using a sellers super URL and instead direct the buyers straight to the product listing. Some groups even have the buyers go one step further and search using some selected keywords.

For my personal list of reviewers I have I direct them to my listing after searching for a specific search term and also provide them with the super URL if they choose to use it. No problems yet.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks! Ryne

@Rms,

First, there are different variations of the Super URL. The most “aggressive” ones modify the time stamp. I continue to use the type outlined in my post, and don’t have any concerns about it. I wouldn’t try to fake the time stamp though.

I also still direct people to do a “search and buy”, which is more effective.