WIKI: Understanding Your Amazon Canonical URL

There are many different variations of your URL that will take you to the same Amazon listing, but the major search engines want to be told they are all the same and which one you prefer. Let’s take a look at this listing:

http://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-All-Purpose-Anti-Tear-Exercise-Carrying/dp/B00FO9ZRZ0/ 

The following variations would all take you to the same listing even though the URLs are different:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FO9ZRZ0/ 

http://amazon.com/BalanceFrom-All-Purpose-Anti-Tear-Exercise-Carrying/dp/B00FO9ZRZ0/ 

http://www.amazon.com/yoga-mat/dp/B00FO9ZRZ0/ 

If Amazon didn’t let the search engines know all these URLs are really the same, the search engines would consider them to be different pages, even though they all look exactly alike and have the same content. This would make it difficult for them to know which URL to rank for a keyword search.

So, as I mentioned above, having a canonical URL is basically telling the search engines that these URLs all represent the same page, but there is one “preferred” URL that should be used for SEO purposes.

Let’s go back to our yoga mat listing example above. If we check out the source code

view-source:www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-All-Purpose-Anti-Tear-Exercise-Carrying/dp/B00FO9ZRZ0/

If you do a page search for the term “canonical”, you’ll find the following code setting the canonical URL:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-All-Purpose-Anti-Tear-Exercise-Carrying/dp/B00FO9ZRZ0" />

Now the listing title for this product is:

BalanceFrom GoYoga All-Purpose 1/2-Inch Extra Thick High Density Anti-Tear Exercise Yoga Mat with Carrying Strap

If you look at the listing title, you’ll see that Amazon pulls words from there to create the canonical URL.

Note: There may not be a 100% overlap in words between the title and canonical URL if the seller has changed their listing title since it was originally created.

Unfortunately, there’s no known way to have the canonical URL use the keywords you want, but it’s a good idea to be aware of what your canonical URL is and use that when posting links to your product anywhere (including with the Super-URL).

This post is part of the ***Ultimate Wiki Project***.

The Ultimate Wiki Project: Selling on Amazon FAQ

Thanks! its still not clear to me how to figure which one is our Canonical URL? If I just go to my listing…how to I get that?

The easiest way to check is by viewing the source code from your product page, then doing a search for “canonical”.

The steps to check your source code will depend on what browser you use, but it could be as simple as a right-click with your mouse and you’d see the option. If you can’t find out how to access the source code, do a Google search and you should be able to find instructions.

gosh, I’m sorry… I stil don’t understand. what do you mean by search “canonical” ? I get finding the source code but I am not getting where to type the canonical part… pardon my ignorance!!! thanks for your help!!!

Do a simple page search just so you can quickly find the term on the page. Using a windows computer, press CTRL-F. Using a Mac it would be CMD-F.

oh my gosh - somehow this is still over my head… I think I probably need to go back to some training on this? I’ll re-watch the Module on this and re-visit. thanks!!!

Where is the canonical URL used? I think I must have missed this somehow.

Julie,

You would use the canonical URL anywhere you are posting your listing page
for SEO (search engine optimization) purposes.

Thanks for your reply Dax - and one more thing…
Do you add the targeted keywords to the end of this canonical URL?

You would use the canonical url to create a Super URL, which is basically adding keywords at the end. You can read more about that here:

Cheers Dax. Understand it much better now.

Hi Dax, thanks for this post.

Do you think it is better than get the URL from a keyword search?

I can’t access the super url understanding link above. Do you have another one?

Regards,
Mario

@mario, can you be more specific about which URL you are asking about and what you would plan on using it for? This will better help me answer your question.

The Super-URL link is a post that is available to my ASM bonus members only. Non-members do not have access.

@Dax, I’d like to be a member. Is that possible? What should I do?

ASM is not available for purchase right now, but it should be opening up again in April.

I’ll post to this forum at that time, but feel free to follow up with me as well.

I’m ASM3 actually. But thats ok, I’ll keep following this community.

regards,
Mario

Oh, sorry @mario. It’s only available to those who purchased through my team as a bonus.

Thanks for putting this together

I looked at my main competitor’s URL and he seems to have all main keywords in their canonical url including their end.

It would be interesting to understand how Amazon makes this URL . Does it look at only first few character of a URL when listing is created ? If that is the case than it makes send to use only main keywords in your title when you create your listing and then change the title later on to whatever you need to change it to ?

Mamta

@Mamta_Jain,

That’s a good question and something I’ve never tried to do. It could work though, so it’s probably worth trying.

Hi Dax, I wonder if it’s better to use canonical link atfer the update of TOS?